Previous Page

Thread: Weighting Ad Order Issue?

Created on: 04/15/09 03:11 PM

Replies: 5

Buddhatown

Weighting Ad Order Issue?
04/15/09 3:11 PM

Ray,

First kudos. Harlan is exactly what I have been looking for. Quick question on rotation and weights though.

I have 5 ads setup. These have all been added to a campaign, with each add set to a weight of 1.

If I visit the page with the ad, I usually get ad1. If I refresh, I usually get ad2, etc. That makes sense if its getting the ad based off IP (trying not to show the same ad twice).

However, looking at the reports, the first ad that was added to the campaign seems to be, by far, receiving the most impressions. Then the second ad, and on down the line until ad 5 where it gets the least.

I assumed it would pull these randomly if the weight was set to be all the same. I suppose I could play with the weighting for ads in the bottom of the list, but that seems to hackish.

Below is a quickie I just did after resetting everything. I have other, similar numbers for a larger sample with similar results.
Ad 1 - 13
Ad 2 - 11
Ad 3 - 8
Ad 4 - 6
Ad 5 - 5

Thanks
Jason

Link | Top | Bottom

admin

Experienced Member

RE: Weighting Ad Order Issue?
04/16/09 8:24 PM

It uses the application scope, so what can happen is - a person hits your app to load an ad, then no one hits your site, and when a second person returns, the app scope is recreated, so you 'stay' on one.

Oh, and sorry, it isn't random, but in order. Weight just impacts how many times it is used 'in order'. So given 2 ads, Ad 1 having weight 3, Ad 2 having weight 1, imagine a list like so:

Harlan will loop over the list, picking one at a time. Ad 1 will show 3 times, then ad 2.

Link | Top | Bottom

Buddhatown

04/16/09 10:13 PM

Ok, I gotcha. Got any advice on where to start so I can make that operation random?

Thanks
Jason

Link | Top | Bottom

Buddhatown

04/17/09 9:36 AM

Once again Ray, I amaze myself to the level of stupidity I am capable of. When I was testing the app out, I changed the application scope timeout to 20 seconds. I have put it back, and all looks good. Hits are rotating perfectly. Sorry.

Jason

Link | Top | Bottom

admin

Experienced Member

04/17/09 9:39 AM

So you are ok with them not being random?

Link | Top | Bottom

Buddhatown

04/17/09 12:12 PM

Yep. It works perfectly now. I just hate when I make rookie mistakes like that, but its even worse when you post them publicly on a forum. Ugh. Thanks again.

Link | Top | Bottom

Next Page

Previous Page

New Post

Please login to post a response.